I gave up the idea of "having it all" when I was 35. I was single, never thought I would get married - let alone have a family one day. My career was going great, I was exercising and maintaining my perfect body, going out with my girlfriends, traveling the world and fixing up my house.

Flash forward to 2010 and I am married (5 years), have a 4 year old son and a successful career. My perfect body has long since left me, I still want to see the world, grow my career, enrich my relationship with my husband, raise my son to be a great man and make my home look and feel like Martha Stewart was just there. I spend a majority of my time "striving 2 B supermom" which means I am trying to find a way to juggle a career, marriage and family and maintain some level of sanity!

Is it really possible to "have it all"? Most days are full of laughs, stress, craziness and some fun, but it's overwhelming to try to fit everything in before bedtime. This is my world - my daily strive to become "supermom". It's a combination of my stress, happiness, shortcuts and planning that help me get through the week. This is for all you gals "striving 2 B supermom" too!

Chicken and Green Chili Burritos

This is one of my favorites. If you choose to make it for guests, you can prep some before. I usually get the burritos assembled in the pan and wait to pour the sauce over the top right before putting in the oven so the sauce does not absorb into the flour tortillas and dry things out.

4 Large chicken breasts
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion chopped fine
4 T Olive Oil
2 T Flour
2 Cups Chicken Broth
16 ounces low fat or fat free sour cream
1 cup shredded low fat cheese (cheddar or similar)
1 four oz can diced green chili peppers
6 large flour tortillas
Cumin
Salt
Pepper
Onion Powder
Black olives, jalapenos, diced tomatoes and green onions as garnish if you want

Season boneless chicken breasts with cumin, salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder on both sides. Heat 2 T olive oil in large skillet. Saute chicken on both sides over medium heat until cooked. I usually keep it covered so it does not dry out.

While chicken is cooking, in a large skillet, heat 2 T of olive oil. Add in garlic, onion and 1/2 tsp cumin. Cook over medium heat until onions and garlic are soft. Add in flour and toss around. Add in sour cream and blend. Add in 2 cups chicken stock and green chilies. Blend and then add in 1/2 cup shredded cheese. Once sauce is thickening and bubbling, remove from heat.

Dice up chicken into small pieces and place in a bowl. Add about 2/3 cup of cheese, onion mixture into bowl with chicken and toss to coat. Lightly grease a 11x13 casserole dish with olive oil. On a work surface, lay out 1 tortilla. Add about 1/6 of chicken mixture. Top the chicken with a large spoonful of cheese and onion mixture. Roll up tortilla and place in casserole dish with seam on the bottom. Tuck ends downward. Finish remaining tortillas and place in pan. Pour remaining sauce over top and cover with tin foil. Bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes. Top with remaining cheese and bake uncovered for 5 minutes.

Serve each burrito on plate and top with any garnish you like (black olives, green onions, tomatoes or jalapenos). Serve with sour cream and fresh salsa or pico de gallo.

Side serving suggestions - black bean and corn salad, refried beans or Mexican rice.

Variation: add in 1 can of rinsed black beans to the chicken mixture before filling burritos. It will make an additional burritos and add more fiber!

Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment